In almost all innovation-driven industrial companies, research and development (R&D) is an area of outstanding strategic importance. This is where the values that determine long-term profitability, competitive differentiation and crisis resistance are created. At the same time, the R&D process harbours enormous risks: failed developments, time losses, coordination problems and lack of transparency, inadequate cooperation with partners in the value chain and quality problems can bring even global corporations into difficulties. The relevance, but also the structural, organisational and cultural characteristics as well as the high complexity of R&D activities, therefore require a cautious and sound approach.
ROI supports companies in designing lean and effective research and development systems with a pragmatic, multidisciplinary and content-based approach. With practice-proven approaches, methods and instruments, we are able to quickly identify potentials and formulate improvement measures: whether it’s to save development and product costs, reduce throughput times in development or increase product quality. In doing so, we accompany the entire process from conception via piloting to the roll-out of R&D systems or customisation programmes. Our range of research & development services includes:
- Strategy:R&D strategy, product strategy, technology strategy, global R&D footprint
- Engineering: Excellence models, lean development, innovation management, product development process (PDP), industrialisation, supplier integration, product life cycle management (PLM)
- R&D organisation:Agile development, multi-project management, platform management, product management
- Product: Product portfolio management, complexity management, variant management, standardisation, cost engineering, value analysis (VAVE)
- Digitisation: Industry 4.0 maturity scan, Industry 4.0 benchmarking, Industry 4.0 strategy roadmap, development of smart products
Product Lifecycle Optimization
Due to its strong decentralized growth, a pharmaceutical company lost focus on structures and process standards. With the support of ROI, a concrete action plan for the restart of global product life cycle management emerged in a very short time.
Transformation through Smart Products Development
A strong development team had solid successes with a manufacturer of household appliances. But now customers want to network kitchen machines, refrigerators and mixers in the "Smart Home". ROI established an "I-Team" with the fresh view of "Digital Natives" and accompanied the internal change.